Whether a fresher or an experienced professional, an interview is the best bet in a
person’s hand to differentiate himself from the other prospective candidates in this
competitive job market. Being smart, with clear, confident responses is the best way to
land one’s dream job. There is no way a person can have his answers before attending an
interview. But it is always recommended to spend some time thinking about the most
common interview questions and their answers to land the dream job. Preparations can
always help boost your confidence in front of the interviewer. The most important point
to remember is to do a good background research of the company before attending the
1. What is AWS?
AWS falls under Infrastructure as a service (Iaas) cloud-computing category.
Cloud computing is the delivery of computing services like storage, server and more,
over the internet. Providers that offer these computing services are called Cloud
Based on service offering by cloud, we classify cloud as:
a) IaaS (Infrastructure-as-a-service)
b) PaaS (Platform-as-a-service)
2.How to change the ssh key-pair of Running Ec2 instances?
Sometimes it is required to change the key-pair for security purposes. Below are the
steps to change the key-pair for running Instance:
a) Create a new ssh key-pair from AWS
b) Generate Public key from newly created Private key (ssh key-pair)
c) Paste the generated public key (from step 2) in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys of Server.
d) Delete the existing key from~/.ssh/authorized_keys .
e) 5)login or ssh to the server using a new key.
3. Name a few AWS services that are not region-specific?
d) Web Application Firewall (WAF)
4. Is it possible to Launch Solaris and AIX operating system servers in
No, Both AIX operating system and Solaris servers are not available with AWS.
5. Which service in AWS used for real-time monitoring?
Amazon Cloud Watch
CloudWatch is a monitoring service for AWS
cloud resources and the applications that run on AWS. We can use Amazon CloudWatch
to collect and monitor log files, set alarms, collect and track metrics and
automatically react to changes in your AWS resources.
6. Which AWS Service allows us to add user sign-up and sign-in for mobile and web
Explanation: Amazon Cognito provides Authorization, User management and Authentication
for web and mobile applications.
7. Which of the following statements are true?
a) Regions are global
b) Availability Zones are global
c) Each region has one availability zone
d) None of the above
Answer: a) Regions are Global
8. What are the Types of AMI’s available in AWS?
a) Instance store backend
b) EBS backend
9.What are the types of Authentication available in AWS?
a) Access Key
b) Session Tokens
c) User Name/password
10. What is AMI stands for?
Amazon Machine Image
Explanation: AWS comes with base images such as Ubuntu, fedora that’s an AMI. AMIs are
images used to create EC2 Instances.
11. How many buckets can be created in AWS by default?
100 buckets for each AWS account
Amazon S3 allows people to store objects (files) in “buckets” (directories). Buckets
must have a globally unique name.
12. What is the command used to create a new security group with our account?
Explanation: A security group in AWS works just like a Firewall, it controls in and out
of our instance. In AWS terms, we call it Inbound and Outbound traffic.
13. When will we incur costs with an Elastic IP address (EIP)?
a) When it is allocated and associated with a stopped instance.
Explanation: We will be not charged if only one Elastic IP address is attached to
running Ec2 instance.
We will be charged in the following conditions:
• When EIP is not attached to any instance.
• When EIP is attached to the stopped instance.
• When we use more than one EIP with our instance
14. A User needs to monitor read and write IOPS for AWS Mysql RDS Instance and
send real-time alerts to the application Team. Which AWS service can accomplish
a) Amazon Simple Queue Service.
b) Amazon Simple Notification Service
c) Amazon Cloudwatch
d) Amazon route53
c) Amazon Cloudwatch
15. What Happens if an application stops responding to requests in Elastic
Elastic Beanstalk Applications are built to avoid failures in the underlying
infrastructure. If an Ec2 instance fails for any reason, Elastic Beanstalk will make use
of autoscaling to automatically launch a new instance.
16. Which is the storage solution offered by AWS with low pricing and Data
Amazon Glacier- It is a low-cost storage service used for backup purposes and data
17. Which service offered by AWS to automatically terminate an unhealthy instance
and replace it with the new instance when we have connected instances to ELB?
Auto Scaling Groups (ASG)
18. How can we configure S3 buckets to serve static assets to our public web
configure the Bucket Policy to provide public read access to all objects.
19. Which AWS service is a global Content Delivery Network (CDN) that securely
delivers the data with high transfer speed and Low Latency?
20. By using which AWS service, we can access S3 Buckets and use the information
for access audits?
AWS Cloud trail- It is designed for tracking API calls and logging. It has been made
available for storage solutions.
21) How Availability Zones and Regions are related?
AWS regions are Geographical are like US-east-1, Us-west-1 and Availability regions are
the areas that are present inside the Regions.
22) Name a few alternative tools to log into the Cloud Environment and AWS
resources other than AWS Console?
b) AWS CLI for Linux and Windows
c) AWS SDK
23) What are the Pricing models for AWS Ec2 Instances?
a) On-Demand Instances
b) Spot Instances
c) Reserved Instances
d) Dedicated Instances
e) Scheduled Instances
24) What are the types of Volumes in AWS Ec2 Instances?
There are 2 types of Volumes:
a) Instance Store Volumes (Ephemeral)
b) Elastic Block Storage (EBS)
25) What are the types of Volumes in Elastic Block Storage (EBS)?
c) Cold HDD
d) Provisioned IOPS
e) Throughput optimized
26) What are the available Cloudwatch metrices in EC2 instances?
a) CPU Utilization
27) What is VPC Peering Connection?
VPC Peering Connection allows us to connect VPC with another VPC in different network.
In this case VPC behave as if they are in the same network.
28) Which Option do we use in AWS
to control the security to our VPC?
We can use NACL (Network Access Control List) and Security Groups to control the
security to our VPC.
29)List few Advantages of Auto Scaling?
• High Availability
• Better Fault Tolerance
• Better Cost Management
30) How to Convert a public subnet to a Private Subent?
a) Remove IGW
b) Add NAT Gateway
c) Associate subnet in Private route table
31) How to Reduce EBS Volume?
It is not possible to reduce the EBS Volume. We have option to increase it.
32) How to resolve “Service limit exceed” error while launching the Ec2
By default, AWS offer service limit of 20 running instances per region. So we can
contact AWS support team to increase the limit based on our requirement.
33) List the advantages of Cloud Computing?
• High Availability
• Increase speed and agility
• Go global in minutes
34) What are the Amazon S3 lifecycle rules? Explain.
Amazon S3 lifecycle configuration rules, we can significantly reduce storage cost by
automatically transitioning data from one storage class to another. Eventually delete
data after a period of time.
• Store backup data initially in Amazon S3 standard
• Transition to Amazon standard IA – After 30 days
• Transition to Amazon Glacier – After 90 days
• Delete – After do days.
35) List the routing policies available in Amazon Route53.
• Latency based
36) What are the features of Amazon CloudFront?
• CloudFront is a web service that speeds up the delivery of dynamic and static web
content such as .js, HTML, CSS to users
• CloudFront delivers content through a universal network of data centers called Edge
37)What are the troubleshooting identifications with Ec2 Instances based on the
• If the instance state is 0/2, it might be because of some hardware issues
• If the instance state is 1/2. It might be because of the OS Issue.
• Workaround: Restarting the instance. If the issue still persists, check the logs and
it will help us to figure out the issue.
38) What is the difference between EFS and EBS?
• EFS can be shared with multiple instances at a time
• EBS can be mounted only with one instance and can be accessed only if it mounted with
39) Brief the process to mount EBS Volume to EC2 Instance?
• Check the disk space using df-k
• Format to a file system to mount new volume – mkfs.ext4 /dev/xvdf
• Create a directory for new Volume – mkdir /mynewvolume
• Mount the filesystem mount /dev/xvdf /mynewvolume.
40) How to add Volume permanently to Ec2 Instance?
Make an entry of the newly created volume in /etc/fstab using below format
/dev/xvdf /data ext4 defaults 0 0
41)What is the maximum file length in Amazon simple storage service?
utf-8 1024 bytes
42) How to store the data is Kinesis AWS service?
Shards are used to store the data is Kinesis AWS service.
43) What are the different storage types in AWS and which is the Default
a) Standard Frequently accessed
b) Standard infrequently accessed
d) One-zone infrequently accessed
e) Glacier Achieve
f) Intelligent tiring
By Default, S3 Buckets will be getting created with Standard Frequently accessed type.
44) What are the types of Storage gateway in AWS?
• File Gateway
• Volume Gateway
• Tape Gateway
45) What is the command to copy the contents from S3 Buckets to AWS Ec2 instance in
AWS Command line?
aws s3 cp s3://
46) How to Login to the Command Line tool in AWS?
Use “aws configure” command and it will prompt access key, Secret key.
47) How can we encrypt the data in S3?
we can use KMS and AES-256 to encrypt the data in S3. KMS stands for Key Management
48) which is the AWS
service used to collect and process e-commerce data for near real-time
RedShift and DynamoDB
49) Is EFS a centralized storage service in AWS?
50) what are the DB Engines which can be used with Amazon Relational Database
b) MS SQL DB
c) MYSQL DB
d) Oracle DB
e) Postgres DB
The key to acing any job interview is to make sure that all your answers are
tailored to be in line with the company values, its goals and the specifics
pertaining to the job you are applying for.
AWS Training in Bangalore
© 2020 Apponix, All Rights Reserved.