Simple Notification Service (SNS) is an AWS messaging service. SNS is a durable, secure,
highly available, and full management subscriber/ publisher service. Amazon SNS lets
users create messaging services for serverless applications and distributed systems.
Amazon SNS provides topics that are many-to-many messaging and push-based services which
could be used to send messages from publishers to multiple subscribers endpoints.
Notifications from SNS can be sent through Emails or SMS or by Push Mechanism
The key benefits of Amazon SNS are:
By setting up permission and by providing policies for SNS topics, users can restrict who
can subscribe or publish. Users can also encrypt message data using encryption keys.
Amazon SNS makes the messages available in multiple regions using cross Availability Zone
message storage at the same time.
The subscribers will only receive messages which they have shown interest in using
allows user’s application to scale dynamically with the number of message requests
using Amazon SNS
Amazon Simple Notification Service (SNS) is an event-driven computing hub that has
integration with a variety of AWS event sources that including Amazon EC2, Amazon S3,
Amazon RDS and AWS event destinations including Amazon SQS, Lambda.
The set of Amazon Simple Notification Service event sources includes the following
Compute: Auto Scaling, Amazon Compute Cloud, AWS Elastic Beanstalk, Elastic Load
Balancing, AWS Lambda.
Storage: Amazon Simple Storage Service, Amazon Glacier, AWS Snowball, Amazon
Elastic file System.
Amazon Relational Database Service, Amazon DynamoDB, Amazon ElastiCache, Amazon
Redshift, AWS Database Migration Service.
Networking: Amazon VPC, Amazon Route 53, AWS Direct Connect.
Developer Tools: AWS CodeCommit, AWS CodeBuild, AWS CodeDeploy.
AWS CloudFormation, AWS CloudTrail,
Amazon CloudWatch Events, Amazon CloudWatch Alarms, AWS Config
Analytics: AWS Data Pipeline
Media: Amazon Elastic Transcoder
Internet of Things: AWS IoT
Security, Identity, and Compliance: Amazon Inspector
Customer Engagement: Amazon Simple Email Service, Amazon Pinpoint
Amazon Simple Notification Service can filter and fanout events to the below destinations
to support event-driven computing use cases:
Setting Up an Amazon Simple Notification Service Topic Using the AWS Management
Steps to create SNS topic
1. Go to Amazon SNS console at https://console.aws.amazon.com/sns/v3/home.
2. Select Amazon SNS dashboard, under Common actions, choose Create Topic.
3. In the Create new topic dialog box, for Topic name, enter a name for the topic (for
4. Choose Create topic.
5. Copy the Topic ARN the next task (for example,
Steps to subscribe to an SNS topic
2. In the navigation pane, choose Subscriptions, then Create subscription.
3. In the Create subscription dialog box, for Topic ARN, paste the topic ARN that you
created in the previous task from step5
4. In the Protocol section, choose Email.
5. In the Endpoint section, enter an email address that the user wants to use to receive
the notification, and then choose Create subscription.
6. From the user’s email application, open the message from AWS Notifications and confirm
The user’s browser displays a confirmation response from Amazon SNS.
Steps to publish a test message to an SNS topic
2. Under the navigation pane, choose Topics.
3. On the Topics page, select a topic that we created in earlier steps and choose to
Publish to the topic.
4. In the Publish a message page for Message, enter a brief message and, for Subject,
enter a subject line for your message.
5. Select Publish Message.
6. Check the user’s email to confirm that they received the message.
© 2020 Apponix, All Rights Reserved.